My new toy

Monday, March 2, 2009

Trying to hoop in the dark at a music festival can be slightly challenging. Sure, if it's late at night you don't have to worry as much about clocking a little kid in the head with your hoops, however this won't stop the adults from walking right into your space. A seemingly "open space" of lawn can quickly become crowded.
I've seen LED hoops before. Years back actually. This year (before festival season starts) I decided I needed one. A good one. The BEST one I can get.
Doing just a little bit of research on the internet, it wasn't long before I found the rave reviews of
PSI Hoops. Patrick of PSI Hoops offers custom orders with different types of LED's, and makes all of the hoops by hand himself.
In these same places I had read good reviews about PSI Hoops, I read about the disappointment of hoopers who had bought from "other" LED hoop companies. In short, you get what you pay for.
Parick talked me through everything ensuring I was ordering the type of hoop made for the type of hooping I do, and was overall very helpful.
I did the tape job myself, asked him to ship it bare. I know I wanted some tape for traction, but I wasn't sure exactly how I was going to do it. Eventually I decided that stripes would be better than cris-cross style...I didn't want to block too much light out, but I DID want to make a definitive black space (better for trails). I ended up taping a strip of sparkly tape down the center between each of the LEDs, then photo luminescent tape over both sides of the sparkly tape. The photo luminescent tape gets charged when the LEDs are on, so when I turn the LEDs off, the hoop will have glow in the dark stripes. Cool, huh? Just to the sides of the photo luminescent tape I used cloth tape for friction.
Last night was a bit short on time, so I didn't really have a chance to break this puppy in. Soon I'll be sure to get a video up on youtube and share the happy trails.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Hoop Flow. Design by Pocket